Handling of Language (Backend reference data)

The implementation of different language (so far I can only comment on the backend) seems to have taken the easy option when implemented. When you delete the first default language, in our case de-German, and now en-English is the first one in the list, everything seems to default to German although the English entries exist for various references like payments, countries etc., but saved against the second installed language. The association should be absolute for every language against the database and not relative to the position in the language settings.

Rico

Hi Rico,

I am afraid, I did not completely got that:
I reproduced what you did (deleted de-German) --> the shop switches to English templates but still shows German database entries (e.g. within the articles) because they have not been translated yet.
Fair enough: If you don’t translate, it will show the other language instead of no entry.

Is it what you mean?

Cheers
Marco

Thanks Marco. I had some time to look at it in a bit more detail. The button line is at not stage should any language that was at one stage implemented delete 'cos it will screw up the association of the respective language entries. Here is an example. Below are the fields from the oxcountry table.
In the vanilla install (with English and German installed - default language doesn’t matter) the German entries are stored in OXTITLE, OXSHORTDESC, OXLONGDESC and so on and the English once are in OXTITLE_1, OXSHORTDESC_1, OXLONGDESC_1. Delete German now. English becomes the “0” language now and suddenly not longer are the *_1 entries are associate with it but instead the OXTITLE, OXSHORTDESC, OXLONGDES, that of course still have all the German entries.
If the user starts to mess around with different languages, and there is now reason/way to prevent this, one can end up with a real mess. I’m not the expert in software architecture but from professional experience in this area language should be fixed against specific entries, i.e. as for the example below columns should look like OXTITLE_de, OXSHORTDESC_de, OXLONGDESC_de - OXTITLE_en, OXSHORTDESC_en, OXLONGDESC_en and queried accordingly. This would eliminate all of the above.
Rgrds,
Rico
Field

OXID
OXSHOPID
OXACTIVE
OXTITLE
OXISOALPHA2
OXISOALPHA3
OXUNNUM3
OXORDER
OXSHORTDESC
OXLONGDESC
OXTITLE_1
OXTITLE_2
OXTITLE_3
OXSHORTDESC_1
OXSHORTDESC_2
OXSHORTDESC_3
OXLONGDESC_1
OXLONGDESC_2
OXLONGDESC_3
OXVATSTATUS

Hi Rico,

ok, got it. Marked it as a task and will get back here as soon as I had the possibility to hava look at it.

Thanks so far.
Marco

Hi,

I have got it on our backlog list now. Let’s see what we can make out of it.
Thanks for the hint again.

Marco Steinhäuser
Community Operator
OXID eSales AG

Whatever it is, my backend site changed from English to German. Translation says English but language is German. Store is useless to me now :frowning:

[QUOTE=RMIGHTY1;124483]Translation says English but language is German.[/QUOTE]

Can you provide a screenshot of your backend?

Regards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nE-oEFjFfI :wink:

Sorry, I just saw this request for screenshot. I have already re-installed the program. I thought I was supposed to get an email when there is a response to a post I make. Will check my preferences. Vanilla, your link goes to an unrelated video. Thank you guys for your help.