Paying invoices or outstanding balances

I just recently tried out the invoice payment method that comes in demo installations but found no option, such as in the user account area, to pay off the outstanding balance. Is there no way for customers to pay outstanding balances? This would also apply to orders that have been received and then adjusted.

If not, how are existing shops handling this? Surely it is a common scenario to have to adjust orders (for example, add/remove quantities) and it doesn’t make sense to completely cancel the order and have the customer place it again.

Hello Shaun,

I guess it works a bit different over here: I don’t no any shop owner to use invoice payment without any security mechanism behind. Means - there are some service providers to check the client first before they let you use payment by invoice like creditpass.
The second point is: Once an invoice is printed, it is an official document for your tax advisor or even the IRS. In this manner, you cannot just “adjust” an invoice.
Did I get you right?

Regards

What about adjustments for other payment methods? Say a user pays by PayPal, but then realizes they want an additional item before you ship. In the backend we can adjust orders like this, but how is the balance to be paid?

Good question but I have to pass unfortunately - too less practical experience with it :frowning:
But you’re right. Actually the bucks for the additional item shall come to the merchant somehow before he ships.

Regards

When you check an order in backend there is the tab “Products” where you can adjust quabntities, delete or add items to this order.

The other thing is to get the balance, this must be handeled outside the shop. Either you tell your customer your PayPal-Account and a reference-no. and he pays the balance. Or tell him your bank details and he does a normal bank-transfer - whatever. You can mark an order as “paid” by hand in the shop after receiving the money.
If you have issued an invoice already, you need to cancel it and issue a new one - or just make a new invoice with the balance only. Depends a little bit on your ERP-system.

There is a module available which may help you in cases like this, at least to edit orders and to put in new customer orders via backend:
http://www.oxid-esales.com/en/exchange/extensions/backend-bestellung

That’s too bad there’s no built-in method. Handling outside the shop will work in PayPal cases, but not for customers using credit cards or who just don’t use paypal.

I guess as a work-around, could make a temporary ‘[I]balance[/I]’ product in a hidden category and then email the customer a link to this hidden product and they could ‘[I]buy[/I]’ it to pay off the balance. A little contrived though.

In case of credit cards you could even do this booking “by hand”. Some card providers offer a login where you can put in the details and you will see if the payment is ok or not. Or you use your POS-machine (if available). You just need the data of the customers card then.