Editing lang.php does nothing

I am editing the actual lang.php in English with a view to release it to the development team for inclusion in future releases.

The current /en/lang.php is not very good.

Just a few pointers:

1. email, not eMail
  2. capitalization in English is not a Random Thing - it looks Awful.

I am also correcting some grammar issues and fixing expressions so that they are actually written in business English.

However, none of the changes appear on the live testing site. I am editing everything within this path: out/new_theme/en/lang.php and the shop is set to use ‘new_theme’ instead of "basic, but none of the changes to the language appear even if I overwrite the /en/lang.php in ‘basic’.

What may be happening? How can I get OXID to see or use the edited file? Is there another undocumented langauge file location in CE 4.1.5_21618 ?

V.

… you are sure to edit the correct file?? There are two main language files (lang.php) - one for the frontend in out/basic/your_language/lang.php and the other one in out/admin/your_language/lang.php.

After editing and uploading to the correct directory you have to empty the cache and after that you should see the changes you made!

Just give it a try! :slight_smile:

I am editing the actual lang.php in English with a view to release it to the development team for inclusion in future releases.

Thanks god, m8! :slight_smile:

Hope you get it working. Otherwise turn back here.

Cheers

…no…still nothing…

I turned off the proxy, flushed the browser cache and I still see the original EN lang.php.

Can you tell me if you see the following text here:

Variant Selection of 2010 Velocite Isoflow

http://newshop.cycletaiwan.com/Frames/2010-Velocite-Isoflow.html

This is our test playground. I am also hacking apart the basic template so there are some elements missing.

Cheers,

V.

A quick tip: lang files are cached so you have to clean tmp dir after editing them :wink:

Thank you Thomas!

That was it.

However, my en/lang.php file has an error. I am trying to track it down and fix it, but help would be appreciated.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting ‘)’ in /home/*****/public_html/newshop/out/new_theme/en/lang.php on line 1056

Attached is the new en/lang.php file - I tried to quote it, but the forum tells me it is 9 times longer than allowed. It is about 50% corrected - this is not a final revision, so even without the error, it is not ready to be used. I just need it to work so that I can see how the changes integrate with the OXID system, before I make any more changes.

Thank you.

V.

Fixed :slight_smile:

I’ll make the final en/lang.php file available here. Please keep in mind that some changes are specific to our needs, but everything should be in proper business English.

I think this will increase the appeal of OXID to international or English language based customers and end users.

V.

Sorry, I could have told you that cache = /tmp/…

I think this will increase the appeal of OXID to international or English language based customers and end users.

Definately. Thanks alot for that!

Cheers

Ok, here is the first “release” version of the updated en/lang.php file.

It should be mostly correct.

I fixed spelling and capitalization issues to give the store ( :smiley: ) a more professional feel. I also fixed up some sentences so they are more correct.

Lastly, and this is where it may not work out for everyone, I changed some phrases to improve the flow of the interface.

At the very least, this en/lang.php version may provide a better starting point for further customisation or translation work.

Enjoy!

V.

Thanks alot for that, buddy - mate :smiley:

Is the last uploaded lang.php file included in ver 4.1.6?

No :slight_smile:

I just made a fresh installation for our brand shop, and eMail and its pals are back in all their glory.

I now need to find what changes were made to the lang.php file and make additional changes.

Can anyone help and point me to the list of changes, would save me time by not having to trawl through release files.

V.

You should find a diff in every update package. BTW: There shall an override system work for the language files. You just change what you have to change in cust_lang.php so every update will go to the original lang.php. Dont forget to clear the tmp.

Regards