Developing with PE

Hi Marco,

We are about to start a major web shop project for a large customer and OXID looks like the best platform for us. The client is happy to purchase the professional edition plus the SOAP connector to reduce the time we’ll need to code the interface to his enterprise system. The project specification will require us to develop other custom functionality, but I am confused about the access provided to the code base.

From the product comparison chart, I see that the Professional Edition is encrypted and only available on request for partners. Does this mean that most people only develop extensions etc with the Community Edition ? Or do people developing large web shops become partners & develop with the Professional Edition ? What is the process to become a partner ?

Thanks

CJ

I think the PE is eqaul to CE. Only the EE needs a special agreement for the source.

Have you asked the oxid-support for the non-encrypted Version?

[QUOTE=MBa;21220]I think the PE is eqaul to CE. Only the EE needs a special agreement for the source.[/QUOTE]
No, for some obsure reason, OXID AG requires the customer to sign an NDA for the PE-source also.

But you/your client will get it, we’ve just made this exercise.

So, your client should just ask for the source code.

Thanks Avenger,

thats good to know and that’s what we’ll do. Apart from the SOAP module, is the PE code base similar to CE ?

Thanks and regards

CJ

No, for some obsure reason, OXID AG requires the customer to sign an NDA for the PE-source also.

It’s because PE includes some proprietary elements like the WYSIWYG Editor. If you don’t use the WYSIWYG Editor that often, you can also use CE for development. Modules and templates written for CE are fully functional in PE, because the codebase is 99% the same. (excluding license management and wysiwyg)