A mail from Magento

Just received a new mail from magento, announcing another Enterprise Version release…

What is significant to me, is, that their last eMails only announced Enterprise Version releases…

So, my bet, that their Open Source Version eventually will disappear and/or dry out, does not seem seem to be too wrong…

Also, they have apparently now (finally) discovered the art of caching…

Magento Enterprise Edition version 1.7 also places a focus on highly tuned page performance by making use of Full Page Caching. Forrester Research has recently hailed caching as the “best practice” behind some of the internet’s fastest sites and new performance optimizations included in this version of Magento Enterprise Edition provide significant benefits for merchants of all sizes through a new Full Page Caching module. The optimizations, which together with other performance-enhancing functionality already in Magento, significantly reduce page load times, increase conversions, and enhance the customer browsing experience.
Which is something most any other shop system (including OXID) is doing for years now…

This also implies, that the OS Version does not use caching…

Big deal!

OXID Open Source Version doesn’t use caching, where Enterprise Edition does :wink: Magento caches in current versions too, they apparently only implemented a new caching mechanism.

I don’t think that Varien drops Magento Open Source Version, that would be dumb and it would distract current magento users from magento. Also, the enterprise version is very young, and it’s product lifecycle is not far enough to make it a cash cow.

Magento is hard to maintain and is bugy like hell. No docs and no help from forums, slow in backend, slow in fronend, but still every one goes to Magento.

What I’am missing most in Oxid is a decent ajax admin panel

[QUOTE=MrDavid;23208]Magento is hard to maintain and is bugy like hell.[/QUOTE]
If that is true, it is a living contradiction to the claim, that, by using the Zend framework, software quality can be significantly improved…

[QUOTE=avenger;23210]If that is true, it is a living contradiction to the claim, that, by using the Zend framework, software quality can be significantly improved…[/QUOTE]

Yap, I’am against of ZF in any case:
more code means > more mess > more bugs > more updates
…and more work + more knowledge means more works and time and people to maintain,
…more people means more money.

[B]So is Magneto really so cheap after all?[/B]

Here u can see how many bugy have each magneto ver.

…each new ver. Magento have more or equal number of bugs, not less.

and best of all … if you looked in Magneto .php code you’ll notice there are no code comments, not a sigle line of comments of code, like programmers like to do.

Magento strip out all code comments for you folks, yeah :eek:

…so please look into Oxid code, you’ll see something more :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=avenger;23210]If that is true, it is a living contradiction to the claim, that, by using the Zend framework, software quality can be significantly improved…[/QUOTE]

Thats like the insult to PHP that it’s slow and generally insecure because the bad software which is written in PHP. Only because a “bad” software uses a library it not means that the library made the software that bad.

Not frameworks produce software, developers do.

I’m personally nor very “pro” ZF neither very “contra” to ZF. It’s all a matter of sense.

edit: my experience with the “M” were that the underlying code is complex, and i think that this could be the reason for the bugs. but i don’t want to make a clear comment about that until i’ve seen how their development process works.

The classic and tasteful tiffany jewelry is the best way to go. Thecheap tiffany jewelry on sale including tiffany keys andtiffany rings , not only very affordable, but also can add you very distinguished and original style and glamour. In any occasion, you image will be the focus. Also if it match with silvertiffany jewelry on sale must be perfect!why not go our cheaptiffany jewelry outlet to choose a fashion jewelry for you!

oakley sunglasses is a brand that still. We constantly strive to reinvent,The Oakley sunglasses discount represent the latest technology and freshest new looks to complement your lifestyle. support those qualities by reinventing the concepts of comfort fit and style.Style is whatever you make it, so make it your own. with your choice of frame color,cheap oakley sunglasses lens tint and more. You’ll have the visionary innovations of High Definition Optics and the look of a true original.ensure snug!welcome to oakley sunglasses outlet.oakley polarized sunglasses for you !!

@csisimon

OXID Open Source Version doesn’t use caching, where Enterprise Edition does

Could you please explain this. I thougt OXID does caching in Community Edition as well as in PE and EE. Do you talk about some special concept of caching like this “Full Page Caching”? Are there differences between caching in CE, PE and EE?

@mods
Can someone kick this oakleysunglasses guy and delete the posts?

[QUOTE=stefanwesop;56481]@csisimon

Could you please explain this. I thougt Oxid does caching in Community Edition as well as in PE and EE. Do you talk about some special concept of caching like this “Full Page Caching”? Are there differences between caching in CE, PE and EE?

@mods
Can someone kick this oakleysunglasses guy and delete the posts?[/QUOTE]

yes, i talk about fullpage caching. OXID enterprise supports a disk cache by default, but it is possible to use other cache backends (like memcached)

Ok, but what about caching in CE. I think there are some caching features as well?

The Smarty template cache, nothing else.

[QUOTE=csimon;56613]The Smarty template cache, nothing else.[/QUOTE]
No, there is more;

language cache, table structure cache, class path cache to name some…

You are right, i forgot to mention those. But they don’t make a big difference :wink:

There is also session data, not that this makes OXID unique in any sense, but it is there. I’m not sure how well the OXID FOS code utilizes it, but it can definitely make significant improvements on load times if you cache the results of slow or cpu intensive routines. Furthermore, there is a Memcache handler for session data, which should further improve performance, especially for sites using shared disk resources. I think I’m going to try this out myself soon.

I think that the open source version of oxid does not use the cache method though the enterprise edition, takes advantage of that process.

As far as I know, Magento has already been using a cache implementation though they just made something new in the new release.

I also think that the zend framework can affect a user in two ways. For one, it can really improve the software quality though it can also act as a bitter end for others.