Can a language be removed from a product?

When administering products there is an option to copy product contents to another language. This language then becomes available under the language selection combo-box for the product. However, what if I want to remove a language from a product? That is, say I have a product with German, English, and French content. Can I remove the German content?

I ask because I created some products by modifying existing ones from the test database. I realize now that the test data has German translations that aren’t applicable but are taking up unnecessary database space. Is there an easy way to remove this product language data through the admin interface? Or would I have remove it manually in the database, in which case I’d probably get lost in there?

Regards.

Hi Purvis,

There is no need to delete the translations from articles etc, because this is not a big space hog. To determine which languages are visible in the front end, there is an admin area for languages under Master Settings. If you want to turn off German, click on ‘Deutsch’ from the list, de-select ‘Active’, and click save.

CPJ

Hi All,

The languages are actually active in the shop, which I think should not be the case.

It is always possible to force other (though deactivated) to load using the right URL.

http://shop1.euroblaze.de/?lang=1

Or set lang=0, or any other lang_id.

The main problem is that search-engines seem to be indexing the deactivated languages as well, hence it’s possible for search-users to land on the wrong page of the shop, and create a wrong impression of language availabilty etc.

If anyone figures out how to completely deactivate languages, I’d be happy to know.

Regards
Ashant

[QUOTE=euroblaze;44243]
If anyone figures out how to completely deactivate languages, I’d be happy to know.
[/QUOTE]
It is this bug: https://bugs.oxid-esales.com/view.php?id=1878

Try the following:

Change in oxlang::validateLanguage (from line 536):
from this:

// checking if this language is valid
        $aLanguages = $this->getLanguageArray();

to that:

// checking if this language is valid
        $aLanguages = $this->getLanguageArray(null,!isAdmin());

This disables inactive Languages in Frontend.

Hi,

don’t think it’s a bug. Simply de-activate the language you don’t need and clear the tmp folder. I described the behaviour in my personal blog:
http://www.marco-steinhaeuser.de/configure-the-language-sites-of-your-oxid-eshop-installation.html

Due to this idea, @jkrug started a new tutorial

Regards

[QUOTE=Marco Steinhaeuser;44310]Simply de-activate the language you don’t need and clear the tmp folder.[/QUOTE]
This will disable language auto-selection for disabled languages, but if you deactivate eg. english, english content can still be loaded via url (for example links from search-engines). I just tried with en/home/, this still worked despite english was deactivated.

hmmm…

I just tried with en/home/, this still worked despite english was deactivated.

nope… just checked it in two shops and got a clear 404. Did you think of clearing the /tmp/ folder?

Regards

[QUOTE=Marco Steinhaeuser;44318]
Did you think of clearing the /tmp/ folder?[/QUOTE]
Yes I did :confused:. You can also try adding “?lang=1” as euroblaze suggested, this also works.

I can confirm leofonic’s observation. Just deactivated “en”, but the below URL loads

http://shop1.euroblaze.de/en/home/

eShop version is 4.2. /tmp has been emptied.

Ashant

Hi,

finally could reproduce it in my local installation. The bug is justified, I deleted my comment to it.

Thanks and regards!

Glad I could start a proper discussion, although I was more interested in ‘removing’ data than ‘disabling’ it. This was only for the sake of keeping the database clean, and as with most databases, I understand it’s often much easier to add data than remove it. When I get a chance to know the OXID database better, I will create some queries to manually remove all the irrelevant language data.

I’m glad, however, that this bug now appears official because I wouldn’t want search engines stumbling upon content which, in my case, is not even a translation but entirely unrelated to the product.