Can product descriptions link to other products?

I want to place a link to a product, within another product’s description, without having to use a hard-coded link. An example product description would be:

“This product is now considered outdated, we recommend using THIS as an alternative.”

Where THIS would link to the appropriate product. Ideally the link would be the product’s SEO URL. Can smarty code be placed in product descriptions? And, if so, can I use a smarty function to insert a link to a particular product? If not, is there another solution?

I was looking at the smarty function oxgetseourl but not sure if it can help me in this case, especially if product details cannot contain dynamic content.

Hi spurvis,

sure, you could do that using getoxseourl to avoid a static link BUT

• the function is not present in the template and would have to be coded with a getter
  • it doesn’t matter if the URL of the target item changes. Via oxseohistory, the static link would be redirected over http 301

Regards

FYI

Noticed there’s a setting for placing dynamic (smarty) content in product descriptions. In case anybody else tries to do this, make sure the following setting is active.

Master Settings>Core Settings>Perform.>Enhanced Performance Settings>Process Description of Articles and Categories with Smarty