PDF Invoice Can't Handle Doublebyte Characters

I’ve been testing CE 4.4.4 and found an issue with the PDF invoice creation. :eek:

When doublebyte characters (Chinese, Japanese, etc…) are used for the shop’s name, address, account details, etc…) the PDF does not properly display the characters. They come out at squares.

This is a common problem for systems which aren’t set up to handle UTF-8 input AND output. This is surprising as OXID CE4.4 has been so far no problem with handling characters.

Where and how can I fix this?

Cheers,
Tokyoj

Maybe the font used by tcpdf does not contain these characters, if so you could set up your own font:
http://www.tecnick.com/public/code/cp_dpage.php?aiocp_dp=tcpdf_fonts

Just a heads up to OXID developrs…

TCPDF has an updated version: [B]tcpdf_5_9_034.zip[/B] as of Dec. 12. 2010.

Currently OXID 4.4.5 uses Version:[B] 4.8.007[/B] so…

it would be beneficial to have the PDF version updated as well in OXID’s current Beta version.
According to their changelog.txt there are some significant bugs fixed.

Hi,

requested to pick that up for the maintenance era.

Regards!

I exchanged email with the TCPDF creators and explained the font / doublebyte display issue.

Their response was,

"TCPDF works perfectly with Japanese as shown on the default examples.
The problem is on the OXID scripts that uses TCPDF. You should ask to them. "

Maybe someone at OXID could have a look and see if the issue can be fixed in V4.5.

Cheers,

Hi,

could you enter that issue to the regular bugtracker please?

Thanks and regards

I would be happy to add it to BugTracker except after 4 attempts the same error pops up in the Bug Tracker…

…when I tried to attach a sample Invoice, the following error appears, so the PDF bug has been posted without a sample PDF

APPLICATION ERROR #401

Database query failed. Error received from database was #1267: Illegal mix of collations (latin1_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation ‘=’ for the query: SELECT COUNT(*)
FROM mantis_bug_file_table
WHERE filename=? AND bug_id=?.

Someone else can make a post in the Bug Tracker reporting the bug in the Bug Tracker itself.

Hi,

it is already in there. You entered #2352 to #2355 :wink:
I reckon the PDF is simply not accepted.

Thanks and regards

Maybe the font used by tcpdf does not contain these characters, if so you could set up your own font:

Mobile Deals