Internationalization or the lack of it

I just downloaded and installed OXID_CE_4.0.0.0_13934 and just wanted to share a few observations. The intention it to deploy it in the UK/IRE market, so we went for the international option with the “no demo data” DB.
Logging in for the fist time into the Admin area we noticed that although everything in English quite a lot of reference data is only available in German starting of with the entire list of Countries! There is also no way of changing the default countries from Germany, Austria and Switzerland to anything else through the Admin interface (it can be done through the DB though - but not all users will be that SQL savvy). Anyway everything looks ok apart from the reference data as mentioned above and in Build 13934 the problem of having VAT rates like 17.5 and 21.5 are partial fixed although the numbers after the decimal are still be cut of when displayed in a few areas but at least the amounts are calculated correctly. The biggest issue in the moment is that still (or may be we haven’t found it) the comma rather than the dot is being used when displaying product prices. Strange thing though is that in the backend whether you type in the price with a “.” or “,” doesn’t seem to matter as it will save it correctly with a dot (even thought the sample right beside displays comma again) but in the shop the “,” is dominant again.

Until there is a solutions there is no point even looking further. So we hope this can be addressed.

Regards,
Rico

Hi Rico,

some of the things you mentioned can be easily configured in shop admin area (if one knows how), so here are some hints for you:

Default countries:
Setting a default country requires the desired country to be activated, this can be done via “Master Settings -> Countries” - afterwards the country is available in the default countries list. Btw: Only countries which are activated will be available in order process in shop frontend.

Product prices:
Have a look in “Master Settings -> Core Settings -> Other Settings”, there is an area where you can define your curreny settings. The default setting used here for the currency “Euro” is the comma for the thousand separator and the point for the decimal separator.
EUR@ 1.00@ ,@ .@ €@ 2 (should look like this)
Just change this to your needs:
EUR@ 1.00@ .@ ,@ €@ 2
Note: the product prices are formatted with the PHP function number_format() - more info can be found here: http://php.net/number_format

Hope this helps…

Regards,
joshua

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the quick and precise reply. The country and delimiter issues can be put to bed - it was indeed a configuration issue. However the VAT issue, although a cosmetic one remain. I have set the VAT to 21.5, it is correctly calculated and displayed in the shopping cart on the actual item line, but at the bottom it only comes back with “plus tax21% Amount”, which looks like a formating issues as there is no space between tax and the 21 as well.

Regards,

Rico

Hi Rico,

it seems you have found a bug in the shop vat calculation functions. The problem is that all available vats are stored in array where the vat rate is used as the key - unfortunately vat rates with decimals are not handled correctly here.

I opened a ticket in the bugtracker, please have a look in the changelog of future releases if this bug is fixed.

Regards
joshua

Thanks Josh - even though I wasn’t aware of the array issue. However, this is something that has to be address going foward as the UK has 17.5 and Ireland will have 21.5 VAT rate come the 1st of December. I’ll keep an eye on the changelogs - may be you can point me to were they are or will be.

Thanks

Rico

recorded with #368 (