OXID Community Forum

> Archive > Redesigning the OXID eShop default frontend > Navigation, hierarchical menus, tagclouds, search, lists, … > Search vs. Categories
Login
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread: Search vs. Categories

#Top   #1  
Old 02-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Banned
LSobanski is on a distinguished road
Default Search vs. Categories

Hello,

do you also feel that an onlineshop hides somthing from you, if you only get the products by search?
I always think i miss some products and can not see cheaper or better ones. I don´t have this feeling when i surf the shop via categories.
What do you prefer, search vs. navigation via categories?
I like the fancy style of tagclouds as navigation but i use them really seldom, what about you?

Greetings
Lars
#Top   #2  
Old 02-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Community Manager @OXID
Marco Steinhaeuser is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Search vs. Categories

Hi,

I think, one has to meet several needs of different users. As the one feels comfortable with tags this might be suspect to another who wants to see "categories". Another user group heads for the onsite search just once - If he doesn't find anything, he's gone and lost forever. A good idea for navigation would also be a filtering function that meets this feature request.

Rgds

Will ignore unsolicited support requests via PM, email or IM.
#Top   #3  
Old 02-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Banned
LSobanski is on a distinguished road
Default AW: Re: Search vs. Categories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Steinhaeuser View Post
Hi,

I think, one has to meet several needs of different users. As the one feels comfortable with tags this might be suspect to another who wants to see "categories". Another user group heads for the onsite search just once - If he doesn't find anything, he's gone and lost forever. A good idea for navigation would also be a filtering function that meets this feature request.

Rgds
Shure i like filtering, but it should not be overloded like this: http://pkw.de/detailsuche

In uservoices you wrote, it depends on your portfolio, what do you mean exactly, when it dosen't make sense?

May there be e.g. top 3 filters matching all like color, price and subcategory?

Greetings
Lars
#Top   #4  
Old 02-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Community Manager @OXID
Marco Steinhaeuser is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Search vs. Categories

Quote:
what do you mean exactly
Like it is now, you can have a product filter by attributes for each category. Well - depends on your product profile: If you have a store that just sells sport shoes, you would like to have a filter over the complete shop. The number of several filters depend on which attributes you are assigning: color (color table?), size or manufacturer...

Will ignore unsolicited support requests via PM, email or IM.
#Top   #5  
Old 02-05-2010, 01:41 PM
lafi is on a distinguished road
Default AW: Search vs. Categories

if you want to filter by attributes you have to overwork the attributes, because the attribut Farbe "Rot / Blau" and the attribut Farbe "Rot/Blau" are two differnt attributes. And if I Filter Rot maybe i will find the Produkts Rot/Blau also.

"Netiquette: Mitdenken. Fragen. Helfen. Der Rest sind technische Details."
#Top   #6  
Old 02-05-2010, 03:54 PM
leofonic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi,
Rgds
You could also see categories not opposed to searching, instead as another way of searching. Sometimes the pre-defined categories fit your needs, sometimes you want to narrow down the results yourself.

By clicking your way down the category tree, you typically narrow down your resultset with each level. So in my opinion it would be logical if the upper categories would automatically contain the products of their subcategories.

This could also affect search by text or attributes:

Text-search: the selectbox "category" could automatically be set to the active category. If you made your way through clothing, shoes, mens shoes, boots, it is very likely that you want to search only this category and not the whole shop. Like ebay for example.

Attribute-search: by having the possibility to assign attributes to special "root" category you could make attribute search available for the whole shop (or any category, regardless of nesting level). Subcategories would be included automatically.

Regarding tag-clouds, i believe they are mainly popular because they look good.
#Top   #7  
Old 02-06-2010, 04:55 AM
avenger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Like it is now, you can have a product filter by attributes for each category. Well - depends on your product profile: If you have a store that just sells sport shoes, you would like to have a filter over the complete shop. The number of several filters depend on which attributes you are assigning: color (color table?), size or manufacturer...
I think this problem would automatically be solved, if you only include the subcategories of the active category in the attribute search....

This would be sort of self-adjusting, and would become broader the more you position yourself up in the categories hirarchy...

Individuelle und hochwertige OXID 4 Templates und Shop-Erweiterungen gibt es bei http://www.powertemplate.de
  1. Dem Ingeniör ist nichts zu schwör (Daniel Düsentrieb, 1952)
  2. Geht nicht, gibt's nicht.
  3. Was nicht passt, wird passend gemacht
Weitere Informationen zum powertemplate.de Angebotsspektrum unter http://www.shopplaner.de