Problems with multilaguage

Hi all.
On my EE oxid shop I must have 15 languages.
For the first 9 languages everything went smooth, but afterward problems started.
No more columns were created in the oxarticles table. later I found out that the maxim capacity of the mysql table was reached due to utf8 encoding of the multilanguage fields (OXTITLE_[1|2|3…], OXSHORDESC_…), so I’ve chaged some of the fields type to text instead of varchar and in this way I managed to add the additional fields until _13, _14.
Also the alter table went fine on the oxartextends.
From admin I’ve updated the table views.
All the language flags are shown in the shop fine, but if I want to change the language to some of them I get an error “Shop offline”.
I’ve traced the error and it appears because it thinks that the shop is not active.
I’ve searched all the admin settings and didn’t found anything that seem to fix this.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Hi.
I found the problem.
It’s an Oxid bug caused by poor testing done by Oxid.
Because all the language dependent text are kept in separate fields in the same table, and are varchar(255) with utf8 encoding, if you have more than 8 languages, the MySQL table size limit is reached thous adding new fields to the table it’s impossible.
So I had to add manually the new fields for languages from 8 to 15 and set them text (text fields are recorded in separate files).

Hi,

https://bugs.oxid-esales.com/view.php?id=1705

Thanks and regards

Hi dragos,

It looks the problem here is that you have reached the maximum mysql row size as specified here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/column-count-limit.html

Do you expect that the good testing of eShop would prevent you from reaching it eventually? :wink: In extreme cases like that, besides relying on automatic table meta data management you would always need manual intervention and DB structure planning. For you I could suggest:

  • Just a guess, but maybe InnoDB engine could help in this case?
  • Shorten fields according to your needs, I am sure you do not need 255 chars in every field.
  • Do you really need UTF8 in every field? Remember that UTF8 fields take 3 times as much space as Latin fields.
  • Due to the nature of TEXT data type I would not recommend converting fields to TEXT type.

And what we can do from developers side is at least we can add an error msg when such limit is reached.

Thanks tomas for your suggestions.

[QUOTE=tomas liubinas;27510]
Do you expect that the good testing of eShop would prevent you from reaching it eventually? :wink:
[/QUOTE]
No, the testing wouldn’t have prevent the MySQL table reaching his limit, but, I think, it would have obliged the developers to find a solution for this problem.
I mean… the cheapest license for EE it’s 12,999 €.

[QUOTE=tomas liubinas;27510]
And what we can do from developers side is at least we can add an error msg when such limit is reached.[/QUOTE]
It would be very nice :slight_smile:

Thanks.

No, the testing wouldn’t have prevent the MySQL table reaching his limit, but, I think, it would have obliged the developers to find a solution for this problem.
I mean… the cheapest license for EE it’s 12,999 €.

Of course. After the bug entry was made, we will find a solution for it in a reasonable time. This is like we usually treat all bugs, independent from the price.

Regards