"Timebombs" in OXID

Hi,

i found some “timebombs” when working with oxid, which are potentially big error producers.

[ol]
[li]ADOdb Lite. I mentioned this a year ago, go PDO. ADOdb blocks actively the proper migration to php 5.3 and its behaviour and performance are more than poor compared to the native PHP component. And it has bugs too, and it seems to be not longer maintained, since the latest version is nearly 3 years old.[/li]

[li]Disabled notices. Unit testing is maybe good, but its useless when you supress php notices which inform you about undefined variables and stuff. I know that they are disabled because of the crappy code inside of adodb lite, which produces the most notices. If you had enabled notices before, the tag cloud font bug hadn’t happened. On our systems, php is oonfigured the strictest way possible, to ensure clean code and minimize errors.[/li]

[li]lazy comparision. in oxid you find the !$variable stuff very often. That can be an error cause too, especially in combination with supressed notices and adodbs execute function which can return false or an empty record if the query not suceeeded. PHP provides the “===” operator, which means “identically”. With == there are actually 3 values that can be “== false”, the same thing its with “!”. Don’t use it, it isn’t clean and with every possibility open it can be very error producing and confusing.[/li]

[li]the export. i took a look at the export function recently, and found out that its really old. there was an check for the mysql version 4 and some special routines for that version. OXID don’t supports mysql 4. I think this class needs refactoring.[/li][/ol]

Any progress on this front, specifically with ADOdb? I saw some mention and recommendation of replacing ADOdb with PDO in the mailing list, but that was over a year ago. Is replacing ADOdb on any road maps? From what I understand, moving to PDO would likely result in a performance boost in terms of page load times.

more than a year and nothing detonate ??

[QUOTE=spurvis;58566]Any progress on this front, specifically with ADOdb? I saw some mention and recommendation of replacing ADOdb with PDO in the mailing list, but that was over a year ago. Is replacing ADOdb on any road maps? From what I understand, moving to PDO would likely result in a performance boost in terms of page load times.[/QUOTE]

Hi,

Replacing ADOdb was one topic at the unconference this year.

As i remember, this should be one of the next steps.

Joscha

Hi,

[QUOTE=jkrug;58569]Replacing ADOdb was one topic at the unconference this year.
As i remember, this should be one of the next steps.[/QUOTE]

I can second that.

Regards

and the next step will be when approx?

Hi,

there was a short qa on the dev general a few days ago. see http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.php.oxid.general

best Joscha