What the OXID community needs

Hello,

a couple of days ago I stumbled over this blog post

At the end of the day, there is one year over of being open source and it’s a quite good chance and absolutely appropriate to ask that question. Still brooding over it, MBa is one step beyond with his post in German:
http://www.oxid-esales.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2737

In former times, a “Community” just has been seen as a forum. Hence, the community worker was the forum moderator. Well, the times they are a’changin’.

Despite of bugs in the software which clearly belong to the bugtracker, I would like to ask you - in connection to the link named above:

• What does the OXID community needs, what is missing from our site?
  • Are ther questions, that have not been answered openly enough?
  • Could we make this thread longest/shortest ever? :slight_smile:

Especially, I would like to have honest answers for myself and being able to answer MBa’s one as clear as possible after one year of this process…

Cheers

first ^^ …naa joking …

hmm community meens in my oppinion that u r using a website that contains everything you need in one place. atm the oxid website is splittet in many parts (faq,wiki,forum,bugtracker etc) and dont feel like “one” website. bugtracking is another sw than faq etc …the resources a spread around etc. i think that would be a first start.

y there are some questions or feature requests where nothing happend ^^

cheers cala

Some top of mind things that the eOXID community needs IMO:

1. More users - ramp up the promotion a bit.Having migrated to eOXID from Magento, I can tell you the opportunity is there, it is just that not many people in the English speaking world (most of it) know that eOXID exists and that it actually works very well.

2. Less focus on Germany and German speakers to attract more users. Yes I know, tough one, but the international language is English and far more Germans know passable to excellent English than English speakers (many are non native English speakers) know German. This international focus starting with English should be reflected in the eXchange partners and eOXID functionality (for example the before mentioned reliance on German only eFire for some critical eOXID functions - this really should not happen).

3.eOXID needs More problems. Truly. What made the Magento community so tight is that after so many users got sucked into using it after being seduced by the sheer promise and seeming power of the platform, they realized that it does not actually work. These users (I was one) then found themselves with considerable time and money invested in Magento and were loath to just walk away, so they banded together to share their misery and hopes with other sufferers in hope of some direction and salvation.

V.

[QUOTE=vmajor;16916]Some top of mind things that the eOXID community needs IMO:

1. More users - ramp up the promotion a bit.Having migrated to eOXID from Magento, I can tell you the opportunity is there, it is just that not many people in the English speaking world (most of it) know that eOXID exists and that it actually works very well.

2. Less focus on Germany and German speakers to attract more users. Yes I know, tough one, but the international language is English and far more Germans know passable to excellent English than English speakers (many are non native English speakers) know German. This international focus starting with English should be reflected in the eXchange partners and eOXID functionality (for example the before mentioned reliance on German only eFire for some critical eOXID functions - this really should not happen).

3.eOXID needs More problems. Truly. What made the Magento community so tight is that after so many users got sucked into using it after being seduced by the sheer promise and seeming power of the platform, they realized that it does not actually work. These users (I was one) then found themselves with considerable time and money invested in Magento and were loath to just walk away, so they banded together to share their misery and hopes with other sufferers in hope of some direction and salvation.

V.[/QUOTE]

Well put. More members for sure. More English on the site.

[QUOTE=MrDavid;21168]Well put. More members for sure. More English on the site.[/QUOTE]

With your help, mate :slight_smile:

…OK I figured out what the OXID community needs the most.

Now, this may sound harsh, but OXID people please take it to heart and act as fast as you can. In my mind there is no higher development priority than this one:

International payment modules.

I no longer religiously scan the eXchange for viable international payment gateway modules, so perhaps this has been fixed. If it has not, this is the first and foremost thing that must be done.

Right now for international customers - those that you are trying to appeal to in this section of the forum - OXID is just a nice catalogue. It is not a shop.

I am presently stuck with one of our shop projects since I came to this realisation rather late. It never occured to me that there could be an e-commerce platform that does not allow people to buy anything.

For anyone outside of Germany and a few select countries, there are no payment modules. There isn’t even a PayPal option.

One of the most significant features that competing shopping carts/e-commerce platforms tout is the number of payment gateways and shipping modules. There is a reason for this - this is what turns a nice concept into a money making business.

Right now, I am stuck with paying a developer to write me a simple PayPal/Authorize.net or 2Checkout gateway…and I do not want to do that. There are other options.

I mean I may be forced to pay for development of the payment gateway module because I made a mistake and did not realise that OXID does not work outside of Germany (and a few other countries) so now we have a meaningful investment into the OXID platform, but I will do so grudgingly.

Thus in other words, eOXID team, please turn eOXID into an ecommerce/shopping cart for the international audience. Please write the payment gateways yourselves, please write the shipping provider modules by yourselves too. Do not rely on third party developers for these core functions. Their priorities and commercial interests are different to what I beleive yours should be - that is my advice.

V.

A simple Google search for “Authorize.net oxid” would have solved your problem.

And there are Paypal-Modules around from both OXID eFire and a 3rd party for small money…

So, were is your problem???

Did you actually do that Google search? Perhaps you are getting different results to what I see. If you see a ready solution for international markets for Authorize.net, please give me a link.

OXID eFire is in German for German residents only. I tried to make it work, but it requires/required German resident specific information that I obviusly do not have.

Why do you ask me what is my problem? I thought I was very clear, or are you trying to troll me?

V.

Here is your link…

http://devzone.zend.com/article/4780

um…right…

Yes I saw that, but that is far away from being a direct payment gateway module that is ready to be used.

I am perfectly aware that eOXID can do pretty much anything, that is not what my post was about.

My post is about what eOXID NEEDS to grow the international user base - the people that made Magento into a veritable movement (unfortunately).

Nevertheless, that was only my advice.

V.

Well, you talk about having a programmer working for you, so he should be able to make this a “ready to run”-module in virtually no-time, it is all there…

And beeing a good “Open Source” citizen, you would hand that over to the OXID community afterwards. :slight_smile:

That’s what “Open Source” is all about: take an give.

Actually that is my intention, but the problem is in licensing and development costs. I have yet to investigate this fully, but developers are not too keen to release their commercial grade code to the world and they would have to do that if they create the code under the GPL license.

The thing is, I do not want to have to think about this. I need to run a business and make decisions that I am actually trained for.

V.

I agree of course OXID eShop needs payment international payment modules! Good chance right now to be the first to implement them :wink:

BTW: there is http://www.oxid-esales.com/de/exchange/extensions/worldpay-interface-fuer-oxid-eshop-4-worldpay-interface-oxid-eshop-4 (worldpay) and there is as well an “non efire” paypal module.

And talking about “Open Source and Earning Money” would lead to a very long discussion. I think we all know quite a lot companys that work very well publishing their software as open source.

…for PE/EE…

The entry price of is not bad, but we do not use WorldPay and the problem is again that if basic functionality like being able to check out is an optional extra, then many other alternative shopping carts/ecommerce platforms become very interesting.

We are discussing how to grow the OXID community, so removing growth barriers such as this should be a real priority.

Having to purchase PE/EE commercial editions just to be able to provide customers with an option to check out is a huge barrier to the international OXID community growth.

V.

Modules for PE also work in CE. If CE-Compatibility is advertised a module might have to be licenced under GPL, thats why CE-compatibility is not mentioned in the encrypted modules.
(Personally i do not think this is the case, i think encrypted modules could be written and sold for CE as long as they are distributed seperately)

[QUOTE=leofonic;22256]Modules for PE also work in CE. If CE-Compatibility is advertised a module might have to be licenced under GPL, thats why CE-compatibility is not mentioned in the encrypted modules.
(Personally i do not think this is the case, i think encrypted modules could be written and sold for CE as long as they are distributed seperately)[/QUOTE]
No, that is exactly the problem: the GPL ist “infectious”: as soon, as you release a module based on a GPL-licensed software, it must be licensed as GPL.

Which is not the case if you target it for PE/EE.

[QUOTE=avenger;22278]No, that is exactly the problem: the GPL ist “infectious”: as soon, as you release a module based on a GPL-licensed software, it must be licensed as GPL.
Which is not the case if you target it for PE/EE.[/QUOTE]
I know GPL is viral, but as the end-user can do anything with GPL Software, he is allowed to use non-GPL modules as well. Just stating that a non-GPL module does also work with CE does not suddenly make the module illegal IMHO if the module is targeted for PE.
There was a discussion here: http://www.oxid-esales.com/forum/showthread.php?t=756&page=2, the last statement by lafi is what i think.

No, of course not…

I presented the developers view point…

If he licences something for OXID CE, it becomes GPL.

But a module licensed for a propriatary software like PE/EE can run under CE also, without becoming GPL.