Brief Comparison with Prestashop

I’ve seen that a lot of businesses here in North America are already using the open source Prestashop platform. Even though I discarded its use, as well as many others, in favour of OXID CE during my initial due diligence about a year ago I decided to go back and see just what it’s about. This seemed valuable given that I’ll soon be trying to convince many to switch from it. Below are the main pros/cons I found. I hope the OXID team is also aware of some of this when considering areas for future improvement.

[B]Code Architecture[/B]

I found the code in Prestashop to be of lesser quality and less intelligent than in OXID. Code in OXID is also documented much better. For Prestashop, I see this leading to higher maintenance overhead and also foresee much time lost doing customizations. Extremely important to me, as a coder, but all transparent to the average shop owner.

[B]Admin[/B]

I think this is where Prestashop excels the most. Their back-end is very user-friendly and also very capable. Some major advantages I saw here include the ease of adding extensions, the ease of dealing with multiple languages, a WYSIWYG for content, and more comprehensive stats. This makes life much simpler for the average shop owner, who I’m sure knows very little (more like nothing) about language files, class extensions, HTML, or SQL data-mining. I think OXID CE needs to play some catch up on this front.

[B]Themes[/B]

The default theme (Azure) for OXID easily wins over Prestashop. However, Prestashop has multitudes of themes available for online purchase, most from 3rd parties. OXID doesn’t really seem to have much of a 3rd party theme base at all (not that I could find). I personally am going to try to make some theme alternatives for OXID and I hope others will too because this is something many shop owners like to have as an option.

[B]Front-End Features[/B]

A good comparison here would take too long to do. However, just wanted to mention a few things:

• Prestashop supports PayPal by default. This is a big advantage but I’m working on offering something similar (and also free) for OXID.
  • Prestashop supports North American transactions (taxes). Again, I’m working on offering something similar (and also free) for OXID.
  • OXID supports Facebook by default. A big advantage for OXID.
    I otherwise found the two platforms offer more or less the same major front-end features, but the flexibility for any given feature is often greater in OXID.

[B]Summary[/B]

I’ve always felt that OXID CE is much more powerful and intelligent than any open-source competitor. However, a look at Prestashop brings to mind a certain analogy. In an O/S world, OXID would be the Linux and Prestashop would be the Windows. Linux being powerful but requiring people to get their hands dirty to make changes. Window being friendly, easier to find things for, but ultimately less powerful and (IMO) leading to headaches. Personally, I’d like to see OXID, at least in terms of the admin area, mature from [I]Linux-like[/I] to more [I]Mac-like[/I], as this would go over well with shop owners that know very little about inner workings of e-commerce software. Maybe I’ll start a thread to recommend improvements to the back-end…

Thanks for the summary! Great work and hopefully OXID will use something from it (Admin-Usability…).

And a nice picture - Linux and Windows. Somewhere else in the forums people have amde a similar picture: Oxid like Typo3 and another shop like Joomla.

Good morning,

thanks @spurvis, very valuable. Just a few words about the admin panel:
Last year on our Unconference, the idea came up to have a project together: community coders and OXID core devs. Now, on March 9th and 10th, we will have a kick off hackaton in Halle, Germany. Will announce it in a blog and the usual was. Also where to subscribe if you’re interested to help.

Cheers!

[Sry for my bad english]

Im currently thinking about relaunching prestashop to oxid but got stucked with 1 point:

• Prestashop has an inbuild statistic which isnt perfect but gives the shopowner a good overview and some visual facts ( im using users online, user-statistic for specific date intervall, sellings / orders for specific date interval). For OXID i just found the HDI-extension, not tested yet but i think it wont fit all my needs.
    So i would be very thankful if you would add a little cool statistic and overview for the backend like prestashop.

I wish you much fun in Halle. Hope the new backend + statistic feature comes soon :slight_smile:

Thx for mentioning the HDI Extension. I’m going to try it out. It sure looks like an improvement over native features.

But yes, doesn’t look like it covers the user-based statistics you’re after.

Thank you for the comparison. A valuable plus point for Oxid over Prestashop is for me that Prestashop is not as far as I know optimized for the German market. Since German and law is the same side of the coin I could sleep much better with an Oxid shop.

've seen that a lot of businesses here in North America are already using the open source Prestashop platform. Even though I discarded its use, as well as many others, in favour of OXID CE during my initial due diligence about a year ago I decided to go back and see just what it’s about. This seemed valuable given that I’ll soon be trying to convince many to switch from it. Below are the main pros/cons I found. I hope the OXID team is also aware of some of this when considering areas for future improvement.

Code Architecture

I found the code in Prestashop to be of lesser quality and less intelligent than in OXID. Code in OXID is also documented much better. For Prestashop, I see this leading to higher maintenance overhead and also foresee much time lost doing customizations. Extremely important to me, as a coder, but all transparent to the average shop owner.

Admin

I think this is where Prestashop excels the most. Their back-end is very user-friendly and also very capable. Some major advantages I saw here include the ease of adding extensions, the ease of dealing with multiple languages, a WYSIWYG for content, and more comprehensive stats. This makes life much simpler for the average shop owner, who I’m sure knows very little (more like nothing) about language files, class extensions, HTML, or SQL data-mining. I think OXID CE needs to play some catch up on this front.

Themes

Thx for mentioning the HDI Extension. I’m going to try it out. It sure looks like an improvement over native features.

But yes, doesn’t look like it covers the user-based statistics you’re after.

Habe a look at piwik, its a externasstatistics tool. there are also modules to get oxid conneted to piwik.

[QUOTE=vanilla thunder;98647]Habe a look at piwik, its a externasstatistics tool. there are also modules to get oxid conneted to piwik.[/QUOTE]

But this is not the sort of statistics I was referring to in the OP. This piwik is for web statistics. In the OP I was suggesting that more thorough sales statistics were lacking in admin.

However, this piwik does look a lot prettier than awstats. Here’s a face-off:

http://web-analytics-software.findthebest.com/compare/4-5/AWStats-vs-Piwik

@spurvis
Wery good and detailed comparison and I completely I agree with you.

[B]OXID weak in two major points:[/B]

• 3th party themes
  • Admin panes is not very sophisticated

Code is brilliant, this is where Germans are the best :slight_smile:

On a long run OXID will win.

[QUOTE=MrDavid;102084]
Code Architecture is brilliant, this is where Germans are the best :)[/QUOTE]
Lithuanians :smiley:

Thanks for review! It is very important to see the difference. Found a nice site with a number of articles about shopping carts comparison. It may be helpful for those who are trying to choose the better one http://www.shopping-cart-migration.com/useful-articles
:stuck_out_tongue:

I have read the post very carefully, which is basically a comparison between oxid and PrestaShop. As I am using PrestaShop since a long time, therefore want to say something about it. PrestaShop is easy to install and configure. Currently, it has announced free hosting for its clients. [while any other shopping cart is not offering that.]. 2nd thing is that as per my experience, PrestaShop allows me everything to do. Just as an example, I was looking to implement a private sales shop on my store. It was quite tough to program as it needs more time to make a module. I found a module [ http://www.fmemodules.com/en/69-private-sales-shop-prestashop.html ] from the market place that helped me in this regard. My point of giving this example was that I can do anything with my store according to my requirement.
Hopefully, you will take it in a positive sense.

My choice is Prestashop , I have my own webstore where we are selling some samples and loops for DJ’s…
But the only one thing that I can’t stand is this offical prestashop stripe addon this addon doesn’t cover all worldwide.: https://addons.prestashop.com/en/payment-card-wallet/24996-stripe-official.html
3 month ago I started using one cheaper stripe module which covers all countries:
https://www.modulesshop.com/en/prestsashop-modules/17-stripe-official-worldwide-payment.html
When I was making my own e-shop it was my main problem.
But in general I am satisfied using Prestashop.