Change logical concatenation of filter attributes

When filtering article lists by attributes, currently multiple selected attributes are concatenated with “[B] or [/B]”, when setting up an SQL filter condition (function “[B]_getFilterIdsSql[/B]” in “[B]oxarticlelist.php[/B]”).

I (and I would assume most people), however, look at filtering as a way to “[B]narrow down[/B]” the article list, so that the attributes should be concatenated by using " [B]and [/B]".

I.e., the products of interest shall have the selected values for attribute1 [B]and [/B]attribute2 [B]and [/B]attribute3, and [B]not[/B] for attribute1 [B]or [/B]attribute2 [B]or [/B]attribute3…

Hi,

as we had the similar request vice versa before we implemented it like it is now it is probably a good idea to have an option for switching between OR and AND. In my opinion it would be a good idea to put it on the feature request tool at http://oxid.uservoice.com, wouldn’t it?

Regards

Quite frankly, I do not believe that "OR"ing the Attributes does make any sense…

Assume you have shoes with different colors and sizes.

"OR"ing “size 38” and “color black” will give you [B]all [/B]black shoes, [B]regardless [/B]of size…

The attribute-based product search has imo another [B]big [/B]shortcoming: it only looks at the products contained in the [B]active [/B]category.

It would be much better, if also [B]all [/B]products in [B]all[/B] of its subcategories would be searched…

Assume you are selling TV-Sets and have organized your “TV”-category in a way, that you store all products in subcategories organized by screen size (or make or whatever)…

In order to allow searching for all attributes in the top-level “TV”-category (which is what is natural), you need to link[B] all subcategory products [/B]also into your “TV”-category…

For a search function to be really useful for the customer, you would want to offer a search-function in the top-level “TV” category, where also all attributes of all products in all subcategories are then offered for selection.

Like in the example given in the attached picture,

[QUOTE=avenger;23842]The attribute-based product search has imo another [B]big [/B]shortcoming: it only looks at the products contained in the [B]active [/B]category.
It would be much better, if also [B]all [/B]products in [B]all[/B] of its subcategories would be searched…[/QUOTE]
Yes and this is true also for the normal product search. A search in one of the major categories always returns nothing if products are only in subcategories.

Hi,

this meets this feature request I guess:

Regards

[QUOTE=Marco Steinhaeuser;23853]Hi,

this meets this feature request I guess:

Regards[/QUOTE]
When it comes to searching by attributes, I would not suggest to always search all products in the shop, but all products in the current category and its sub-categories. (If you search for a TV set, you are not interested in shoes…)

When it comes to general searches, it would be OK to search all products in th shop.

[QUOTE=avenger;23863]
When it comes to general searches, it would be OK to search all products in th shop.[/QUOTE]
I think if a searchcategory is specified, subcategories should be included also in general search. E.g. in the shop you recently finished, if you search in “Kabel”, nothing ever is found.

Hi,

[QUOTE=avenger;23863]When it comes to searching by attributes, I would not suggest to always search all products in the shop, but all products in the current category and its sub-categories. (If you search for a TV set, you are not interested in shoes…)[/QUOTE]

Right. That’s why the feature request is about an option: The shop owner shall - on the basis of his product portfolio - have the choice whether he wants to set the filter on the complete shop or on certain categories.

Regards