Language files -> Database content

Hello @ devs.

It is not enough to translate and provide only the ĺanguage files on http://translate.oxidforge.org

Also the database entries should be available/integrated with the language pack(s).

Icy greetings from Finland.

sieg01

Also the database entries should be available/integrated with the language pack(s).

which entries do you mean e. g.?

[QUOTE=ProudCommerce;176994]which entries do you mean e. g.?[/QUOTE]

Language related entries, of course. :wink:
Just dl and install/add a new language and look @ the CMS pages.

Icy greetings

Hi,

unfortunately, presently there’s no way to import/export DB entries in oTranCe. But the software allows plugins:
https://mysqldumper.jira.com/wiki/display/OTC/File+import%3A+writing+importer
https://entwickler.de/online/uebersetzungen-von-anwendungen-verwalten-134755.html (German)

Regards

[QUOTE=Marco Steinhaeuser;177000]… unfortunately, presently there’s no way to import/export DB entries in oTranCe… [/QUOTE]

Ok, I see.
If admins/integrators would be forwarded to e.g. Github - and the current missing CMS files would be there available for dl?

Next to the CMS content:
I also think, it would be an advantage if the language keys of the most important/common Extensions/Plugins are available as well.

I “only” speak by experience and we have seen how long it takes to translate them. They are more difficult (annoying) to do, as you jump between the folders, because they are located in different files.

Thanks for your attention and icy greetings

Hey @sieg01,

[QUOTE=sieg01;177073]Ok, I see.
If admins/integrators would be forwarded to e.g. Github - and the current missing CMS files would be there available for dl?[/QUOTE]

Look, CMS are not files - they are database entries alongside with shi*te loads of other multilang DB entries. Am not sure if CMS is really the most important stuff and I’m afraid we get a bit puzzled if we mix up all of these things into one GitHub repository. This also would mean that some stuff can be translated in oTranCe, other can’t and has to be done via GitHub. IMO, it would be a more clever solution to have an own importer for oTranCe for DB entries.
Alternatively, there’s a shop set up alongside oTranCe at
http://shop.translate.oxidforge.org
With the usual admin role it would be possible to have all DB translations here.

[QUOTE=sieg01;177073]Next to the CMS content:
I also think, it would be an advantage if the language keys of the most important/common Extensions/Plugins are available as well. [/QUOTE]

Has it’s pros and cons as well. Presently, there are 3.210 language keys to translate for the store front, admin and setup - only language files. This is a big huge number of translations to expect from volunteers and it takes a long time until we gathered 100% for just one language. I am not convinced if adding modules would be a good idea. Rather I’d wait until the core gets smaller (they are currently about it) and see what number of keys will be left over. Then we still can decide whether to use the same installlation of oTranCe or a new one.

Thanks anyway - am always interested in sharing opinions about that kinda stuff :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Marco Steinhaeuser;177082]CMS are not files[/QUOTE]

You’re right - I ment “content” like in the topic header and not file(s) :wink:

[QUOTE=Marco Steinhaeuser;177082]Am not sure if CMS is really the most important stuff [/QUOTE]

Thing is, that the non existent CMS content is a show -slow downer.
Folks think, that by uploading the language files the job is done. But it isn’t.
Even you don’t add a new language but just switch from “de” to “de_in” you see the additional effort - done by every single admin/integrator who does the switching.

[QUOTE=Marco Steinhaeuser;177082]Has it’s pros and cons as well. [/QUOTE]
Yes, indeed.

When integrating the keywords of the most important/common extensions in the lang file(s), it will also gain interest of the admin/integrator to look/search for these extensions :wink:
Next to the users/volunteers, extension developer could upload and maintain their keys - as they currently do internally - and maybe also other one(s). :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Marco Steinhaeuser;177082]Thanks anyway - am always interested in sharing opinions about that kinda stuff :-)[/QUOTE]

We are in the final stage of publishing an “Oxid shop” in a new language and I am “just” forwarding some of our experience gained during the (long) process.

I suggest, that the easier things are (mainly for newbies), the more Oxid will get distributed and find new users/shop owners (also outside Germany). This will help the community, the project, the development aso…

Happy hacking!