Update from 4.2.0 to 4.7.8

Hi everyone,

I have to quickly update and modify a client’s OXID webshop which has been first installed 5 years ago (it was version 4.2.0.). So if I got it right, I have to perform the following cumulative updates:

a) from 4.2.0. to 4.4.8.,
b) from 4.4.8. to 4.6.6.,
c) the “special update” from 4.6.5. to 4.7.0., (why can’t I find 4.6.6. to 4.7.0.?) and finally
d) the patch from 4.7.0. to 4.7.8.

Since I am new to OXID and I’m supposed to do the update quite rapidly, I would have loved to get feedback from you experienced people and get possible warnings about the procedure. Also, do I have to check for possible modules that may go wrong with the updates?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Dear aslashi,

when you are new to oxid, this will be a enormous task for you. You need a new template and all modules must be installed in a new version. The basic template is not longer supported and replaced by the Azure theme … a lot changed since the 4.2.
My advice is only to update the database and make all template changes new! You als have to buy all modules in the latest version.

The only good news for you is, that it is worth to update. The new module system is great and the shop runs.

Thanks for your quick reply, Firefax.

I’m new to Oxid but as a developer I’m learning fast! I created my first Magento shop from scratch last year, it sure took me a while to understand how the complex template system worked but I ended up doing something very nice. I’ve read that Oxid should be way easier to comprehend than Magento and I hope it’s true.

Having said that, and seen how you replied, I’m still a bit concerned about my client who seems to have neither plenty of time nor an important budget. So I’m wondering if the shop really needs the update. My client only wants to “refresh” the appearance of the shop (I think I could handle most of it through css styling only) and make it more dynamic by adding social media stuff (“share it” buttons related to products) and customer reviews. Do you think I can do this on the 4.2.0. version? or do you think it’s a bad idea to build on obsolete foundations?

Thanks again!

Hi,

hard to say. If you only want do you just little things, the 4.2 will be ok.
Have a look at the new Azure Template in the oxid demo shop: http://demoshop.oxid-esales.com/professional-edition/ If you like that and your client don’t want to much changes you may upgrade. In my opinion it is much better than the old basic theme.
On the other side, it will be more or less a completly new shop, incl new modules and maybe new interfaces to other systems.

You may download the 4.7.8 and have a look to it by yourself.
I really like the new features of the 4.7. and would prefer the 4.7. but usually it also depends on other side conditions…

cya

Hi,

staying on a 4.2 is slightly negligent…

Best

[QUOTE=aslashi;132961]do you think it’s a bad idea to build on obsolete foundations?
[/QUOTE]
Yes it’s a bad idea. Time needed for update depends mainly on the number of modules installed and customizations in template. Besides this, image handling has changed from multiple images to one master image, maybe you can use the former zoom images as new master images, but this requires manual procedures.

You can try the update very quickly offline (~2h) and then have a look at the result to estimate the time needed to resolve the issues that show up. Before Update uninstall all modules, undo template changes and check with oxchkversion. After each upgrade check with oxchkversion again.

(why can’t I find 4.6.6. to 4.7.0.?)

Because Update from 4.6.x to 4.7.0 requires a fresh installation and takes only the database from 4.6.x, and as there are no DB changes from 4.6.0 to 4.6.6 you can directly update from any of these Versions.

Thanks a lot your contributions! very much appreciated

Hello Community,

I’ve recently updated from 4.2.0 to 4.7.3 and the shop no longer works.

The Frontend throughs following Error:
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /path_to_shop/core/oxlist.php on line 436.

And the Backend can’t find any shop related information, like preferences, articles, categories, etc. every textbox is empty and no data is shown.

My procedure was as following to update the shop:

1. First I’ve installed an empty 4.7.3 oxid shop
  2. Next I’ve mirrored the production database
  3. At last I’ve executed all sql update scripts from the update packages in sequence as in the first post mentioned

Has anyone an idea how to get the shop up and running?

well - this is a huge step from 4.2 to 4.7 with a lot of changes

I guess the main problem is, that your template is possibly BASIC or a child of it. And this template is no longer supported since 4.7 version. Does the shop work, if you switch to AZURE template?

Did you empty the /tmp folder? Did you refresh the VIEWS?

The main template isn’t and can’t be basic, because I’ve not upgraded the hole shop, but I’ve installed instantly the 4.7.3 shop. Though I’ve only upgraded the database from 4.2.0.

Have you (changed and) deactivated all the moduls in you shop?
No old module will work.

Of course, I haven’t had any modules installed.

I assume it is a problem with database relations, because the admin backend doesn’t display any preferences, articles, etc.

Have you updated the database using the updateApp or did you just execute the commands from the sql-files? Sometimes this leads to problems but i am unsure if this is true for your case.

I’ve executed all sql update scripts from the command line.

then try the updateApp. Some important operations during the update can only be performed with php scripts, which you probably did not use.