Working on en_AU for Australian English

Hey Don,

I copied en_UK and made it en_AU for your needs. Could you please register at http://translate.oxidforge.org/register/, wait for my approval, go to Configuration - Languages - Select your reference language(s) and select the languages you want to see as reference. I reckon, I have to approve that as well.

Then please go to translations, use the filter for your stuff like “VAT” and change it for your en_AU needs.

I am checking the translations on a daily basis, so please ask here if there’s something. Once everything is done properly, we can even promote this new lang en_AU on the new OXIDforge and/or OXID eXchange…

Cheers

Tag auch

I have registered as requested and selected all forms of English (EN) but I may also add French and German which I understand a bit which will help me get a feel for what the German creators of OXID had intended for any given word/phrase.

Do you have translation protocols and or original code protocols for things like:

• Capitals and how they are to be used. For example I found some phrases have inexplicably capatilised the first letter of each word. Some words don’t have capitals which arguably should have them; e.g. Gift Registry etc Or has it just been up to the creator and or translator to do what they think is best?

• Spelling is another interesting nut. For example US English would spell capatilised as capatilized and there are many other z/s variations. UK and AU English would use the s over the z in most cases.

If you promote an AU version, will you turn off things like SHOPELUPE and VAT Identification etc? This would be an advantage if you could create a toggle off.

Looking forward to helping.

Don

Hey Don,

sorry, didn’t manage it over the weekend as I was busy and alone with my kids. I just activated your account. With it, you should be able to edit en_AU now.

Per default, EN should be activated as so called reference language (you see for understanding purposes but cannot edit). If you want to, you can add more reference languages in oTranCe - Configuration - Languages.

Of course, I don’t want you to stumble through every single phrase. As you know I copied en_UK into en_AU so there shouldn’t be any hassle with “s” and “z”. I think best practice is to search for a value you want to change like “VAT” and work on these phrases only.

> If you promote an AU version, will you turn off things like SHOPELUPE and VAT Identification etc? This would be an advantage if you could create a toggle off.

Unfortunately, removing features in the language site of the shop doesn’t work ^^

Maybe you find this information useful as well:

Cheers!

Hey Marco

When you created the “Translation” part of OXID, did you also publish a set of “Destructions” as I call them? It looks pretty daunting and of course, I don’t wish to screw-up.

I may have OCD but either way I would like to scroll through every phrase/word for good orders sake. Of course, I can nail the easy ones first.

Don,

no fear, you can’t damage anything with this system - that’s why we’ve got it :slight_smile:
And yes, it is daunting - alone the number of phrases is huge, isn’t it. Hope to get it reduced step by step with the next versions.

Anyway, it isn’t half that daunting when following my idea: simply search and replace the “well-known” stuff like different words used for VAT (tax, GST) or cart (trolley, basket, handbag). In this step, we don’t have to take care of capitalisation or not I think. Shall I do the first steps and make a short screen cast out of it or something?

Cheers

Good Morning Marco

I have started in my own way to help perfect en_AU files for OXID.

I am afraid it may be a bit manually intense until I get the hang of the Translation Portal. Please forgive me.

I have attached a word document which may make copy and paste a little easier. This document relates only to the downloadable language files.

Tschüss

Don

Boy-o-boy… actually this has nothing to do with en_AU as you corrected basic English. I don’t know any country where English is used like that :smiley:

Listen, these corrections should be done directly in GitHub, for example here:

I reckon you don’t know how to handle git and pull requests and stuff? If you mind, I would send a pull request with these corrections with my account name mentioning your nick name in the commit comment, alright?

Once these changes will be released with the next patch or whatever, the translation platform will be updated (by me) and it appears in en_UK, en_US and en_AU as well.

Cheers

Menche Marco,

Does this mean I can say “I am written” like my Lecturer wife keeps referring to? She speaks that Lecturers must write papers to “be written” as it gives the Universities more Kudos. I suspect that being in Frieburg you would have some exposure to the Uni system. Perhaps you are a Lecturer yourself?

I am happy to help and your suggestions are fine with me. Maybe I should develop a more creative Nickname… How does “Dono” sound? Perhaps a bit too much like “Marco”?

Hey Marco,

More if not all EN/lang.php files have been gone through and basic spelling, grammar changes have been made. I also corrected some interesting translations and thought I would change some of them to more accurate descriptive words. For example whilst Attribute is an english word and used quite correctly in the software, generally in real life we would refer to a product’s characteristics. On this basis I have made some changes. Other things changed include abbreviations - “Ident Nr.” to “ID No.” for example.

Hopefully nothing to offensive.

I have not changed the VAT type words as I will leave that when I can find the EN_AU suite of “Lang.php” files to go over in the GitHub. If they are there already, then please send me a direct link as I am too thick to find it.

:wink: Don

Marco,

It occurs to me that the default English language and no doubt all subsequent variations of this do not include name titles other than Mr and Mrs.

This of course is not PC or politically correct these days and I would like to suggest as a minimum the OXID templates all contain at least the following:

Mr. Mrs, Miss, Ms. Dr.

I would certainly like to add these additions to the en_AU files but consider the suggestion worthy of these changes being adopted in all en_ versions.

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,

Don

[QUOTE=NHWS;179700]subsequent variations of this do not include name titles other than Mr and Mrs.[/QUOTE]

its the translation for german Herr and Frau. Fräulein is pi :slight_smile:

An inputfield for academic titles like dr., prof, dipl. ing. etc does not exist.

Problem is, you have to modify the template for english versions.
OXID loads via tpl-file only 2 possible selections.

https://github.com/OXID-eSales/oxideshop_ce/blob/master/source/Application/views/azure/tpl/form/fieldset/salutation.tpl

If you add a third value, f.e. for “Miss / Fräulein”, OXID will earn a very, very huge shitstorm :slight_smile:

Ahhh Meister Yoda…

You have discovered the wonderful and accurate description called a “Shitstorm” :slight_smile:

I researched world population figures and Germany is around 1.11% of the worlds population. And whilst German is the native tongue of 229M (inclusive of Austria, Belgium, Germany, Italy (South Tyrol), Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Poland, Switzerland), you’ll find that over twice as many speak English of a sort (510M - Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belize, Botswana, Brunei, Cameroon, Canada, Dominica, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Fiji, The Gambia, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, Hong Kong (People’s Republic of China), India, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Maldives, Malta, Marshall Islands, Maritius, Micronesia, Namibia, Nauru, New Zealand, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Rwanda, Saint Kitts and Nevs, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Somolia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, Uganda, United Kingdom, United States, Vanuatu, Zambia, Zimbabwe.) Data source: Ethnologue: Languages of the World, 15th ed. (2005) & Wikipedia.org.

I suppose my point is that there are way more people who use English as their main language than German and commercially speaking, It may be worthwhile having the debate about adding Miss and Ms. at least.

So many women in AU get a bee in their bonnet about having to identify as either Miss or Mrs and prefer the marital anonymity of Ms. That said the ‘normal’ women who are not yet married should not be exempt from a title and should not be forced to use Mrs when they are not yet married.

I agree that adding academic titles may not be necessary but [U][B]IF[/B][/U] a rework of the templates is required for Miss and Ms. then why not go the whole hog and add the academic titles in. It can only enhance the software’s commercial marketability.

When I added States and Territories to my en_US version, I did so via phpMyAdmin. Perhaps the salutations could be added in here instead of via tpl-files?

I am not clever at coding and can barely keep my nose above water with much of the conversations on code but I do know marketing and consumer reactions. In sales we try to minimise the negatives and maximise the positives. Not having Miss in the first instance and Ms. in the second is a negative for a lot of women.

Just saying…

you’re right, Don…
France is the same. They have also 2 salutations for females, Mademoiselle for unmarried women, Madame for married.

But adding the additional language-key will have no effect without adding the logic to the salutation.tpl.

Maybe Marco can talk to the guys in Freiburg to make the shop more comfortable for international needs. ;.)

Rome wasn’t built in a day and changes like these need to be budgeted in as there would be significant hours required to make the necessary changes. It doesn’t need to happen immediately, next week would do nicely. :wink:

Meister Yoda, in addition to “Shitstorm” may I introduce you to another great term, “Shit-Stirrer” or “Shit-disturber”

Grüsse

Don

Alright, first pull request is sent:

Can’t promise to care about the ms, miss etc stuff as I am a bit under pressure presently. Maybe the best would be to report a bug.

Cheers

Marco,

I must stick to the facts and not use humor - Be advised that I have made 388 changes to the en_AU file in the translation area. I am unsure what to do with it next but suspect you do, so I will leave it to you.

Duder,

this is certainly more complex than I expected :slight_smile:

Staring at the change logs, I determine

• typos (Create new Coupon Serie),
  • American phrases in Brit English (Celluar Phone),
  • still Denglish (Art.No.),
  • new wording aspects (Create new Characteristic),
  • i18n issues (SHOP_MAIN_IBANNUMBER),
  • etc…

Question: are you done with it completely in a manner of having your perfect language now for your business? In this case, I’d be able to extract everything you need and post it here. Otherwise, should anything else be done like mass-convert VAT to GST, basket to cart or anything similar?

I could do that stuff and let you know on how to implement it in your business so you don’t loose your updatability.
Also, I’ll take care that the above named points will be corrected. Just takes me a couple of hours :wink:

Cheers so far!

I had to grab the Urban Dictionary to translate ‘Duder’ but I am kewl with it now. :smiley:

Just to be crystal (as in crystal clear) ‘Coupon Serie’ is incorrect and even fails the spell check here, so I guess you know that

Cellular and Cell phone is pretty Yank. To quote Wikipedia: “The term “cell phone”, short for “cellular phone” came into the day-to-day American English vocabulary during the 1980s when the mobile phone companies had to distinguish their mobile phone that can be carried from one cell to another, each controlled by a land-based antenna, from the earlier Improved Mobile Telephone Service phones. [B]In Wikipedia, “mobile phone” is more often used because it can be used across various technologies.”[/B]

New wording aspects - Attributes is not an incorrect word choice, just not in my opinion a ‘selling’ word choice. Characteristics sounds less architectural. Both are correct and maybe you could make inquiries with your other Anglo contacts. USA/CDN UK.

The International Bank Account Number - This is not a universally accepted system and many countries just don’t use it and can’t come up with IBANs. Specifically the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand have not adopted IBAN.
Perhaps it would be wise to make this an optional item but include the some generic names for different countries to use?

The Valued Added Tax (VAT) or Goods and Services Tax (GST) are basically the same thing but operate differently. GST must be included in the end retail price the customer sees on the shelf in AU. It is not to be calculated after or separately. It is similar in NZ but I am no expert there. Suffice to say that the Tax options would need some deep thinking and potentially a lot of on/off switches depending on the end user country where it is to be used.

You do not need to rush on my account to finish this up. take your time. It was interesting going through the reams of word/phrases.

Later